The Right Visa for Your Trip To Bali

You’ve seen all the beautiful Bali images on social media one too many times. You’re home, it’s cold, there is no beach around, and you physically can’t watch Netflix anymore. The time is now, Bali is calling, and you must answer!

Booking flights and packing your bags are the easy part, and we know you’ve already googled a packing list and found your perfect flight. But what type of visa are you going to get? This is a big question and depends on your dive trip! So let’s break it down.

Visa on Arrival

Visa on Arrival

If you are planning a quick diving holiday in Indonesia that is less than 30 days, you are on easy street! A 30-day visa on arrival can be applied for an issued upon arrival to Indonesia, hence the name, “visa on arrival”.

Double check that you are travelling from a country that allows a visa on arrival. And check out the requirements of this visa on arrival to make sure you have all your documents ready! This visa is perfect if you are looking to get a quick diving certification or would like to get some fun dives under your belt.

30-Day Extension

So your 30-day Indonesian adventure is coming to a close. Back to reality, back to work, and back to somewhere not as cool as Indo. If only there was a way to extend your trip. And if the heading to this paragraph didn’t give it away, there is a way to extend! This is perfect for all you future Divemaster Trainees.

That’s right! Turn your 30-day visa on arrival until a 60-day visa on arrival. Now listen up, this is important. If for whatever reason, when you come to Indonesia if there is any possibility of you staying in Indonesia for anywhere from 31 to 60 days in Indo, purchase the visa on arrival that can be extended. It only costs $35 and saves you a visa run! If you do not purchase this, you have 30 days in Indonesia, and that is the maximum length of time for this visa.

Keep in mind that this type of visa is cancelled if you travel to another country. If you leave and return then you will have to restart the process. Also, keep in mind that these types of visas are convenient because you do not need a sponsor letter or to go through a travel agency like you need to do with longer-term visas.

Social Visa

Indonesian Social Visa

If you are coming to Indonesia and you already know 60 days in paradise is just not enough time, what do you do? You apply for a social visa! A social visa is a beautiful thing because it means that you can stay in Indonesia for two months off the bat, and can have up to four 30-day extensions. In other words, you got yourself a six-month visa! Perfect if you want to do your Instructor Development Course and spend the high season on the island.

Now, for this type of visa, you will need to receive a sponsor letter from an agent. This can seem like a daunting task, but it really is quite easy. As easy as sending a message via WhatsApp. There are restrictions for this visa. Double check the requirements of what you can and can’t do with a social visa as there are some restrictions that go along with it.

Renewing Your Visa

It’s not officially a long term trip to Indonesia without a visa run! Visa runs can be a bit of a drag, but if you do them right, they can be a fun opportunity to explore a new destination. If you have just spent an extended stay in Indonesia and you can’t possibly stomach another Bintang or force down another Nasi Campur filled with mystery meat, a visa run might be a blessing in disguise. Now, as someone who spent four straight months in Indonesia and was craving good food and good drinks, I would suggest making the two and a half hour flight to Singapore.

Downtown Singapore

Visa Runs

If you are not familiar with Singapore, it is basically like stepping into a city 50 years in the future… but cleaner. It really is a beautiful city and it’s quickly become one of the biggest business hubs in the world. For a relatively small city, there is so much to do. The type of visa run you make depends on your budget. Singapore is a very expensive city. You can have a blast there, but your bank account will be hurting.

The fact of the matter is that we are writing this blog from a scuba diver’s perspective. That is a fancy way of saying that our visa run budget is very small. If you are also on a scuba diver’s budget, we have some suggestions on where to stay and where to eat in Singapore!

There is any type of food or drink that you could ever want somewhere in the city. So we will keep this short and give you quick suggestions. For lodging, check out the Backpacker Cozy Corner Guesthouse. It is a small little pit stop for backpackers that has all you need to get by. If the Backpacker isn’t your vibe, check out the Jamilla Boutique Inn. These places are by no means five stars, but they are all you need for a quick stay. If you’re looking for five-star lodging you might want to look for a country club’s blog post about visa runs.

Visa Agents

Last but not least, if you do decide to get yourself a visa where you need a sponsor letter, we suggest Visa4Bali. They are a safe and reliable service. They are quick to respond are helpful with any questions you might have along the way. If you find yourself in a bind and need a quick sponsor letter, we are going to suggest you contact Komang Puspadana. Komang is a fantastic travel agent, and is up there as one of the nicest guys in Bali! He is a friendly guy and always is a huge help when you find yourself in a jam.

Visa4Bali Agency


Though visas can be a bit confusing, it is a process we all have to go through! We are divers and travelers, we do it because we love it, which is why we go through this hectic process. We hope this blog helps shed some light on the visa process, and if you have any questions about the requirements it can all be found here, on the Indonesian Government’s website.